Commercial Trucks and Tractors

Commercial Vehicles

Note: Commercial trucks weighing over 26,000lbs cannot be processed online.

According to Florida Statute 320.01(26), a 'commercial motor vehicle’ is a vehicle not owned by the government, with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 26,001 lbs. or more, or has three or more axles regardless of weight, or is used in combination (vehicle plus trailer) when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,001 pounds gross vehicle weight.

For further information on commercial motor vehicles, see DMV Procedure RS-45 on the DHSMV website.

Commercial Driver License Requirement

Visit here to review Commercial Driver License (CDL) Requirements.

Highway Heroes - Stop Human Trafficking

In an effort to fight human trafficking, the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) has partnered with Attorney General Ashley Moody, the nonprofit Truckers Against Trafficking (TAT), and the Florida Trucking Association to launch "Highway Heroes," a campaign aimed at enlisting half a million commercial truck drivers in the fight to end human trafficking. Click here for more info.


For detailed information on commercial motor vehicle insurance requirements, see DMV Procedure RS-33 on the DHSMV website.

Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT)

For detailed information on HVUT, see DMV Procedure RS-34  on the DHSMV website.

Initial Registration

Residents operating commercial trucks and tractors on Florida's roadways must register those vehicles in the State of Florida. Non-residents must register their vehicles in Florida if they engage in a trade or occupation, are employed in Florida, or their children attend public schools in Florida. Vehicle registrations for commercial trucks and tractors may be obtained at one of the Tax Collector's Offices.To receive a vehicle registration for a commercial truck and/or tractor, the following items are required:

  • A registration renewal notice or previously issued registration. (If these are not available, the tag number, title number or vehicle identification number may provide enough information.)
  • Current proof of Florida property damage liability and personal injury protection insurance, including the insurance company's name and policy number.
  • Proof of insurance:

GVW                                               MINIMUM COVERAGE

26,000-34,999                                 $50,000 per occurrence

35,000-43,999                                 $100,000 per occurrence

44,000-80,000                                 $300,000 per occurrence

Acceptable forms of proof are as follows:

  • Certificate of Self Insurance issued by HSMV;
  • Form E, Uniform Motor Carrier Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability;
  • Proof of self insurance with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration;
  • Policy which provides the required coverage; Insurance policy binder which provides the required coverage;
  • Certificate of insurance issued on insurance form only (must reflect policy number and levels of insurance coverage); or,
  • Depositing a surety bond with HSMV issued by a surety company authorized to do business in Florida or a combination of a surety bond and insurance policy which satisfies the requirements of section 320.02(5)(e), Florida Statutes.

Vehicles owned 6 months or longer require proof of payment of Heavy Vehicle Use Tax.

Registration Renewal

Florida law requires commercial truck and tractor tags and registrations to be renewed before they expire, as well as provide proof of insurance.

To renew, the following items are required:

  • Previous registration or registration renewal notice; and,
  • Proof of payment or exemption of Heavy Vehicle Use Tax
  • Proof of insurance

Transfer Of Ownership On A Florida Title

When seeking to transfer ownership of a commercial truck or tractor in Florida, you must bring the following to any one of the Tax Collector's Offices:

  • A Florida title, properly completed by the seller; and,
  • A copy of the current registration to be transferred, if applicable.

Also, each applicant must be present to sign the new application for title.

New Purchase from a Florida Dealer

If you have purchased a commercial truck or tractor (new or used) from a Florida dealership, the dealer is required by law to process the application for title.

New Purchase in Another State

If you have purchased a new commercial truck or tractor from an out-of-state dealership, an Application for Title may be downloaded, completed and submitted to one of the Tax Collector's Offices.