Residents operating their vehicles on Florida's roadways must register their vehicles in the state of Florida.
Vehicle registrations may be obtained at the tax collector’s office. In order to receive a vehicle registration, you must have the following items:
- A registration renewal notice or previously issued registration. If these are not available the title number or vehicle identification number may provide enough information.
- Current proof of Florida property damage liability and personal injury protection insurance - including the insurance company's name and policy number - are required on all motorized vehicles with four wheels.
Non-residents must register their vehicles in Florida within 10 days of the owner either becoming engaged in a trade or occupation, employed, placing children in public school, or establishing residency.
Non-resident exemptions may be applied to:
- College or university students who are in Florida for less than six months in an accredited work-study program recognized by the state of Florida
- Any non-resident enrolled as a full-time student in a Florida institution of higher learning
- Recreational vehicles not located in Florida for at least six consecutive months