Transfer Of Ownership on a Florida Title
When seeking to transfer ownership of a vehicle or mobile home titled in Florida, you must bring the following to the tax collector's office:
- The original Florida title properly completed by the seller and a copy of the current registration to be transferred if applicable.
- You must bring proof of current Florida property damage liability and personal injury protection insurance, including the insurance company's name and policy number.
- Each applicant must be present to sign the new application for title and provide personal identification.
Title application on a new vehicle
If you have purchased a vehicle (new or used) from a Florida dealership, the dealer is required by law to process your application for title.
If you have purchased a new vehicle from an out-of-state dealership, you may process your application for title at the tax collector's office.
In addition to a completed Application for Certificate of Title, the following items are needed:
- The original manufacturers certificate of origin
- A bill of sale or dealer's invoice listing the purchase price, sales tax paid, and any trade-in allowance. Please note that additional sales tax may be due.
- A federal odometer statement
- Any applicable lien holder information
- Proof of current Florida property damage liability and personal Injury protection insurance, including the insurance company's name and policy number, when purchasing a license plate or extending the registration period.
- When transferring a license plate, the current registration or plate number
- When transferring ownership on a mobile home title, the applicant is required to purchase a new mobile home decal.
- Each applicant must sign the application. If you plan to complete an application in our office, each person applying for ownership must be present to sign the title application and provide personal identification.
Applications for certificate of title may be obtained and completed prior to visiting our office.