Florida law requires vehicle tags and registrations to be renewed before they expire.
Florida vehicle registrations and tags (license plates) expire as follows:
- For vehicles owned by individuals, the expiration date is the birthday of the first owner listed on the registration. This applies to passenger cars, recreational vehicles, light trucks under 5,000 lbs., small trailers, and motor cycles.
- The expiration date is indicated on the vehicle registration of leased vehicles.
- The expiration date for company-owned vehicles is June 30.
- The annual expiration date for truck tractors, semi trailers, trucks over 5,000 pounds (company or individual), and nine-passenger a automobiles for hire is December 31.
- Note: Six-month registrations issued to these types of vehicles expire May 31.
To renew, the following items are required:
- Your previous registration or registration renewal notice
- Current proof of Florida Property Damage and Personal Injury Protection insurance issued by a Florida agent or broker.
If you fail to renew your vehicle tag and registration before the eleventh day of the month following its expiration, a penalty fee will be charged upon late renewal. It is a violation of the law to operate a vehicle on Florida’s roadways without a current license plate and current registration.
If you are caught by law enforcement after your birthday or the renewal due date with an expired tag, you will be subject to a traffic citation. Individuals caught driving their vehicle with a registration or tag that has been expired for six months or longer are subject to a second degree misdemeanor conviction.
Courtesy Renewal Notices
Please note that Florida law does not provide for vehicle registration renewal notices and failure to receive a renewal notice by mail, but the St. Lucie County tax collector does provide renewal notices as a courtesy to resident vehicle owners. The courtesy renewal notices are mailed approximately three weeks prior to the birth month or month in which the renewal is due. This notice does not relieve the vehicle owner of the their responsibility to renew their vehicle registration and license plate in a timely manner.
The cost of renewing your registration and tag varies according to the make and model of the vehicle, as well as the type of tag you have chosen to display on your vehicle.
Vehicle registration and tag renewals may be conducted at the tax collector’s office.