NEW - EXPRESS LANE for registration renewals!
Our new service for renewing a registration for your vehicle, boat or mobile home allows you to pay online and pick up your renewal from one of our offices the same or next day.
For same-day pick up – RENEW online before 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Under delivery options, select “Pick up at a Tax Collector Office Location” and select your desired location. Renewals paid after 3:00 p.m. can be picked up the next business day between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Note: If you do not pick up your registration by the end of the business day, the registration will be mailed to the address on record.
Things to know:
- Have your renewal notice, registration or license plate number, and proof of insurance available.
- No fee when paying by E-Check
- $2.50 convenience fee for debit cards
- 2.5% convenience fee for credit cards
- You should expect two emails: The first confirming your payment and the second to let you know when your registration is ready for pickup. Allow one hour minimum for processing.
- When you receive the READY FOR PICK UP email, go to the location you selected and visit the customer check-in desk.
- Show your photo ID and you are ready to go!
Click here and follow the instructions.
Renewal transactions may also be conducted by mail or at either of our office locations.
Florida law requires vehicle tags and registrations to be renewed before they expire:
- For vehicles owned by individuals, the expiration date is the birthday of the first owner listed on the registration. This applies to passenger cars, recreational vehicles, trucks under 5,000 pounds, small trailers and motorcycles.
- The expiration date is indicated on the vehicle registration of leased vehicles.
- The expiration date for company-owned vehicles is June 30.
- The annual expiration date for truck tractors, semi trailers, trucks over 5,000 pounds (company or individual) and nine-passenger automobiles for hire is December 31.
- Note: Six-month registrations issued to these types of vehicles expire May 31.
The following items are required to renew:
- Previous registration or registration renewal notice
- Current proof of Florida Property Damage and Personal Injury Protection insurance issued by a Florida agent or broker
A penalty fee will be charged upon late renewal if you fail to renew your vehicle tag and registration before the eleventh day of the month following its expiration. It is a violation of the law to operate a vehicle on Florida's roadways without a current license plate and current registration.
You will be subject to a traffic citation if you are caught by law enforcement after your birthday or the renewal due date with an expired tag. Individuals caught driving their vehicle with a registration or tag that has been expired for six months or longer are subject to a second-degree misdemeanor conviction.
Courtesy Renewal Notices
Please note that Florida law does not provide for vehicle registration renewal notices and failure to receive a renewal notice by mail. The St. Lucie County Tax Collector provides renewal notices as a courtesy to resident vehicle owners. The courtesy renewal notices are mailed approximately three months prior to the birth month or month in which the renewal is due. This notice does not relieve the vehicle owner of the their responsibility to renew their vehicle registration and license plate in a timely manner.
The cost of renewing your registration and tag varies according to the make and model of the vehicle, as well as the type of tag you have chosen to display on your vehicle.