STARTING A BUSINESS IN ST. LUCIE COUNTY
St. Lucie County Local Business Tax Receipt Ordinance #07-016 requires that all businesses or professions located in St. Lucie County obtain a County Business Tax Receipt.
For your convenience, we have provided this Business Tax Receipt Checklist for you to follow, along with the following tips:
- All businesses operating within city limits, by law, must obtain City and County Business Tax Receipts in order to operate legally. Unless you obtain both Receipts you will be considered in violation of the Local Business Tax Receipt Ordinance.
- If your business is located in the unincorporated area of the County, a city Business Tax Receipt is not required, however, you will need a zoning compliance approval and any additional state required licenses as necessary. A new business checklist and new business flowchart is also available for your assistance.
- If you are working from your home, you must still meet applicable state and local requirements before obtaining a county business tax receipt.
- Nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations are exempt from Business Tax Receipts.
For more information on licensing:
- Fort Pierce City Clerk: 772.467.3000
- Port St Lucie City Hall: 772.871.5225
- IRSC Small Business Development Center: 772.462.4756
- SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives): 772.489.0548
- Florida Health Department
APPLYING FOR YOUR LOCAL BUSINESS TAX RECEIPT
Here is important information to review before applying:
- If you are creating a fictitious name (which is any name other than your legal first/last name), you must contact SunBiz and receive a registration number.
- You will need to find out the jurisdiction in which your business is located. You can go to St. Lucie County Property Appraiser's website and search your location to determine if it is in the unincorporated area of St. Lucie County, City of Fort Pierce, City of Port St. Lucie, or St. Lucie Village. The following documents are required prior to submitting your application.
- If located within the City of Fort Pierce, you must receive your City of Fort Pierce Business Tax Receipt.
- If located within the City of Port St. Lucie, you must receive your City of Port St. Lucie Business Tax Receipt.
- If located within St. Lucie Village, you must receive their approval.
- If your business is regulated by a state or county agency, a copy of your current license or certification must be submitted with your application.
- Any business in St. Lucie County must also contact St. Lucie County Property Appraiser regarding the tangible tax.
- Once you receive the email notification that your application has been approved, you may pay online through our website’s public access system and print your business tax receipt.