St. Lucie County Local Business Tax Receipt Ordinance #07-016 requires that all businesses or professions located in St Lucie County obtain a County Business Tax Receipt.
Prior to starting your business there are some basic factors you must be familiar with. Obtaining the information you need can be difficult and time-consuming. In an effort to simplify the procedure of starting your own business, we are providing these facts for your use, which may be obtained at our Ft. Pierce office, or the Port St. Lucie office. For your convenience, we have provided this Business Tax Receipt Checklist for you to follow.
- All businesses operating within city limits, by law, must obtain City and County Business Tax Receipts in order to operate legally. Unless you obtain both Receipts you will be considered in violation of the Local Business Tax Receipt Ordinance.
- If your business is located in the unincorporated area of the County, a city Business Tax Receipt is not required, however, you will need a zoning compliance approval, a hazardous waste approval and any additional state required licenses as necessary.
- If you are working from your home, you must still meet applicable state and local requirements before obtaining a county business tax receipt.
- Nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations are exempt from Business Tax Receipts.
For more information on licensing:
- Fort Pierce City Clerk: 772.467.3000
- Port St Lucie City Hall: 772.871.5225
- I.R.S.C. Small Business Development Center: 772.462.4756
- SCORE (Service Core of Retired Executives): 772.489.0548
Ready to Apply? Apply for a Local Business Tax Receipt
Please read the following before submitting the online application:
- If you are creating a fictitious name (which is any name other than your legal first/last name), you must contact SunBiz.org and receive a registration number.
- You will need to find out the jurisdiction in which your business is located. You can go to St. Lucie County Property Appraiser website. Your search will indicate if the location is in the unincorporated area of St Lucie County, City of Fort Pierce, City of Port St Lucie, or St Lucie Village. The following documents are required to be completed prior to submitting your application.
- If located in the unincorporated area of St Lucie County, you must receive a Zoning Compliance from Planning & Zoning and a Hazardous Waste Screening from the Health Department.
- If located within the City of Fort Pierce, you must receive your City of Fort Pierce Business Tax Receipt.
- If located within the City of Port St Lucie, you must receive your City of Port St Lucie Business Tax Receipt.
- If located within St Lucie Village, you must receive their approval.
- If your business is regulated by a State or County Agency, a copy of your current license or certification must be submitted with your application.
- Any business in St. Lucie County must also contact St. Lucie County Property Appraiser regarding the tangible tax.
- Once you receive the email notification that your application has been approved, you may pay online through our website’s public access system and print your business tax receipt.