“I really don't think life is about the I-could-have-beens. Life is only about the I-tried-to-do. I don't mind the failure but I can't imagine that I'd forgive myself if I didn't try.” -Nikki Giovanni
Q & A with Chris Craft
- Where do you call home? Chris was born and raised in Fort Pierce and currently resides in St. Lucie County with his daughter Sydni.
- Where did you receive your education? He graduated from Westwood High School and studied sociology at Indian River State College.
- Where did you work before becoming tax collector? Chris worked for Vista Lite Ceilings for two years upon graduating from high school before accepting a position as a Coca Cola merchandiser. He entered Coke’s sales division and went on to become a territory sales manager for the Treasure Coast. He was then voted in as a St. Lucie County commissioner for District 5 in 2004 on the heels of Hurricanes Frances and Jeanne. Chris served as chairman of the county commission twice and was the chair of the Public Safety Coordinating Council for five years. He served two terms on the county commission before being elected tax collector in 2012. When elected, Chris said he would focus on making the website more user friendly, as well as reducing office traffic. The office’s new website aims to do just that.
- What is your favorite part about your job? Chris said he loves the people and seeing their development within the organization. The office has been named one of the Best Places to Work in St. Lucie County for the past three years, as well as being recognized by numerous organizations, such as Big Brothers Big Sisters and the Florida Breast Cancer Foundation.
- What do you think people think of when they hear your name or think about you? Chris-Craft boats and the office’s excellent customer service.
- What is your favorite food? Steak
- What are your favorite sports? Baseball and NASCAR
- Do you currently serve on any boards? Chris was recently named the chairman of the Florida Tax Collector’s Service Corporation.
- What is the best way to contact you? Please feel free to call Chris at 772-462-3559 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.